Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Beef and Bean Burritos ~ skinnyfied

beef & bean burrito 2

A lot of people ask me how do I eat so well on a diet. Well first let me clarify, I am not on a diet. I never looked at myself as being on a diet and I think this is a great contributor to my success. I just changed what types of products I cooked with. I have a thing now for finding regular recipes and making them as healthy as possible without loosing the flavor. Yes I know some of you will say how in the world can you ever replace butter and fat and….butter! Oh but you can and the results will be amazing! For example, one of my favorite recipes to cook is 16 minute Beef and Bean burritos from The Pioneer Woman’s website (love her btw!). They are simple and flavorful and they follow the Mexican theme that we tend to gravitate to in my house, hehe!

This is what I do to change from the original but still have the same,

if that makes any sense at all!

Adjusted Ingredients:

  • 1lb Lean ground beef
  • 1/2 can El Pato Mexican tomato sauce (very, very hot)
  • 1 can Fat Free Refried Beans
  • Fat Free or reduced Fat cheddar cheese or a mixed blend (whichever I have in the fridge really)
  • Small Flour Tortillas or Low fat/Low Carb tortillas
  • Cilantro
  • Salsa
  • Fat free sour cream
  • Cilantro Lime Rice ~ on a good day :0)

lean ground beef

Brown your ground beef, season to your liking and add in some onions if you wish.

Once the meat is done add the 1/2 can of the tomato sauce.

If you think you can handle it or if you are using 2 lbs of ground beef then be my guest and use the whole can!

While you are letting the meat simmer for about 10 minutes, warm up your tortillas  in the oven.

I like to do this because it makes them more flexible to work with. Wrap them up in aluminum foil and throw them in the oven for about 10 minutes.

FF RB

In a separate pot cook your beans.

Another one of my adjustments is using Fat Free Refried Beans.

When they are done, add cheese to them and stir, mmm.

stuffed burrito

Layer your tortilla with beans, meat and cheese. I like to add a little something extra to mine so I chop up cilantro and throw in some salsa but you can add whatever you like.

stuffed burrito 2

Roll them up into a burrito and add more cheese on top.

Pop it in the microwave for a few seconds to melt the cheese and whammo, dinner is served!

You can also top it with fat free sour cream.

If I’m feeling frisky I will whip up a pot of Cilantro Lime Rice and add that to them as well but usually its just the burritos with extra beans on the side!

If you want to print out the original recipe from the Pioneer Woman, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment