Saturday, June 5, 2010

Rico Burritos

I got this recipe from Publix but it's not part of their Apron's meals so I'll just type it out. It was very easy to make. I loved them but my son had a different opinion. I still find that hard to believe because he loves Hot tortilla soup and it has so much more ingredients than this.

You need:

1 10oz can Publix Chunk white chicken meat (drained) (I used regular chicken breasts and cut them up because I have a weird thing against canned meats)
1 16oz can of Old elpaso refried beans (I used fat free beans)
1 11oz can of Rotel Mild diced tomatoes with green chilies (drained)
4 Large Mission Flour tortillas (I used the soft tortilla size and it was a perfect portion)
4oz of shredded cheddar cheese (I used 2% shredded Cheddar cheese)

(I always try to cut back or substitute anytime I can. It makes the meal that much more healthy.)

  1. Preheat large saute pan on medium high. Place chicken, refried beans, corn and tomatoes in the pan; cover and cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
  2. Place the tortillas in aluminum foil and heat in the oven at 350 for about 5 -6 minutes while this is cooking.
  3. Arrange the tortillas on a work surface. Sprinkle cheese down the center of the tortilla and add 1/4 cup of chicken mixture over the cheese. If you like sour cream you can add some now. I did and used fat free sour cream.
  4. Fold two sides in toward the middle, then roll from end to end. Repeat and serve.

Serving Suggestions: Sliced avacados would be a great addition to this meal. You can also serve the chicken filling on top of shredded lettuce. Sprinkle the cheese over top, drizzle with your favorite salad dressing, and you've got a great Mexican - style salad. Also, serve with chips and salsa if you like.

1 comment:

  1. I am jealous you have a Publix! They such a great place to shop! I switched from Shaw's to Price Chopper recently, but there are no other choices around these parts unless I care to drive quite a bit. This is a great blog :) I menu plan too and since going back to work I try for 2 weeks at a time, but have slip ups as you mentioned. In fact, on last week's menu all I had down for Monday was "argh" :)

    ReplyDelete