Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Homemade Corndogs – State Fair worthy!

 corn dogs

Unless you don’t like corndogs or the state fair, then these are not up to your standards.

But really there are people out there that don’t like corn dogs and State fairs?

That is un-American!

I like ‘em. I like ‘em a lot.

I know, I know, they are by no means healthy but the kids wanted more corndogs.

I wanted to make my own instead of spending $8 a box so I spent $2 on a package of hotdogs instead.

I only took a bite of one but can I just say that if you ever – ever get the notion for a corn dog, make these!

I’d already made myself a batch of Hot Tortilla Soup!

You will thank me!

They are the perfect blend of sweet and crunch!

The hardest part was getting the batter to the right consistency.

I found this recipe on one of my current blog crushes – Life as a Lofthouse. Everything I’ve made from her blog I am in absolute love with.

They are easy everyday recipes that are versions of things that you would normally either

go out to buy frozen or at a fast food place – at least the ones I’ve tried.

One adjustment you could make to these lovely’s would be hot dogs lower in points or calories – depending on what you are counting.

Since I wasn’t eating them I just made straight up Ball Park hot dogs (the best!).

The kids are still half n half – half good for them half I’m a kid and I don’t want that healthy stuff.

So most days we compromise. You gotta pick your battles……

{Printable Link}

Homemade corndogs

You will need:

  • 1 cup yellow corn meal (any brand)
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbls baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups milk, (I used 1% milk and it worked fine)
  • 1 Tbls Vegetable oil
  • 1 Tbls Honey
  • 1 8 count package of hot dots or no more than 10
  • 8 or 10 wooden skewers
  • 2 Quarts of vegetable oil for frying (I used peanut oil – worked great)

Directions:

  1. In a large pot, add your oil for frying. Turn heat to medium and heat to 350 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix it all together.
  3. In a smaller bowl combine the beaten egg, milk, vegetable oil, and honey. Mix it all together then add to the dry ingredients.
  4. Stir all ingredients together. They will have a little thicker consistency than cornbread or pancakes. If it is not thick enough, add a little more flour until it is. (This was my problem)
  5. Pour the batter into a tall glass or cup that will be deep enough to have the batter cover the entire hot dog.
  6. Pat dry each hot dog and stick a wooden skewer in each one.
  7. Dip the hot dog into the batter. Pull it out letting some of the excess fall off back into the cup. Place batter dipped hotdog into the hot oil frying it about 2-3 minutes. Holding the stick and turning it to make sure all sides get evenly cooked. Repeat this for all hotdogs.
  8. Remove and place on a paper towel covered plate to absorb the excess oil.

Serve it up with mustard (yuck) or ketchup! Yum!

1 comment:

  1. I made these tonight. They came out perfect!!! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete