Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Cabbage Patch

cabbage2

When I was a kid, I would gag at the smell of greens or cabbage being cooked in my great grandmothers house. I could smell it in the driveway and would just turn around and go back home. Now don’t get me wrong I love my BeBe’s cooking and would give my left arm and right hook to have her smell up the kitchen today with those greens and she could definitely throw down on fried chicken!

I don’t know about any of you but my taste buds and food cravings have drastically changed with age.

Do our bodies start craving healthier food as we get older or do we just know its better for us? hmmm… question of the day!

Anyway, I began a love/love relationship with cabbage and given my past, one might find that odd!

I started craving it about two thanksgivings ago. In my husbands family, they cook greens at every large family gathering and since I don’t eat those I thought I would give cabbage a try. I was singing on the mountain!

It is very easy to make and you can spin it to be quite healthy.

(Printable Version click here)

You will need:

  • 1 descent size head of green cabbage
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • 1 yellow onion
  • Water
  • Salt and pepper to taste

**Unhealthy version is to also add a spoonful of bacon grease and salted pork pieces for that extra southern flavor!

Directions:

1.  Gather a large skillet that has a lid to cover it and fill the bottom of the pan with water just enough to cover the bottom of the pan.

2.  Chop up your Bell pepper and onion into chunks.

They don’t have to be nice and pretty but you can make them appealable if you like.

3.  In your skillet with water, add bell pepper, onion, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.

If you are in the need for comfort food this is where you would add the bacon grease and salted pork pieces.

4.  While the water is boiling chop up your cabbage into eatable pieces.

cabbage2

Like the size of wheat thin crackers or maybe a little larger.

5.  Next add the cabbage to the skillet of boiling water and cover.

Turn the heat down to medium low and let this simmer for about 20-30 minutes.

You will want the cabbage to still have some umpf to to and not be totally limp.

cabbage

I usually make this with a holiday meal but I made it Sunday with Savory Herb Chicken in the crock pot and it was a perfect combination.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment