Friday, August 2, 2013

Mexican Pizza

mexican pizza

I don’t know how it ended up being Friday so quickly. I feel like it was just Monday, like yesterday.

I’m sure glad we are here though – so to all my fellow Friday lovers – Happy TGIF!

I feel so accomplished this week because I finished my second semester in my quest to finish school! I cannot tell you how excited I am to have a break, even if it is only for 2 weeks! I’ll take what I can get right! Being the fact that I cannot believe it is Friday should just tell you how oddly busy my week was. I don’t even remember day to day what happened really. Except for the fact that Wednesday night we had no electricity until 3:30 in the morning! Odd power outage that only affected 8 houses in my neighborhood…… the kids said “Um did you forget to pay the bill?'” Me – No (giggling but now second guessing whether I actually did or not…..)

Anyway one day this week, or last week, now they all run together, I made this Mexican pizza.

Oh my word! I was in heaven when I read Mexican and Pizza and they were together in the same sentence! I promise you that this recipe will not leave anyone at the table disappointed, unless they don’t like Mexican food, or pizza.

So go gather up your food lovers, sit down at the dinner table and enjoy a good meal!

{Printable Link}

To do this you need to go get the following…

  • 1lb lean ground beef
  • 1/2 packet taco seasoning
  • 1/3 cup of water
  • 10 fajita size soft taco shells
  • 1 can fat free refried beans (or you can make your own)
  • Old Elpaso mild taco sauce
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 1 green onion, diced
  • Olives –totally optional (you see I didn’t use them)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
  2. Spray 2 baking sheets with non stick spray. place 5 tortillas on each sheet and place in the oven for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes flip the tortillas over, while still in the oven and cook for another 5 minutes until they are slightly golden and crisp around the edges. Remove and set aside when done.
  3. In a large skillet, brown your ground beef. Add your taco seasoning and water, bring to a boil, let simmer and stir for about ten minutes.
  4. In a medium bowl, warm up your refried beans in the microwave until they are warm all the way through.
  5. Spread a thin layer of refried beans on 5 tortillas, add a layer of ground beef mixture and top off with another tortilla shell.
  6. Spread 2 TBSP of the taco sauce on top of each tortilla shell. Next add cheddar and mozzarella cheeses on top of that. Sprinkle each with tomato, cilantro and green onions (or olives if you like those).

Enjoy your dinner!

Enjoy your weekend!

Enjoy your shopping if you have kids going back to school!

Original recipe adapted from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment