There used to be this little place about 20 minutes from our house that made the BEST breakfast burritos.
It closed down. Well let me back up. It got hit by a car. It was remodeled. It changed owners ~ and names, raised its prices ~ then closed down.
We were devastated. Our late night, early morning runs to grab a burrito were crushed. They are that good y’all.
Anyway, last week we took the kiddies on that (some say dreaded but I love it) annual before school shopping spree. I had a game plan.
I gave each of the kids a budget and a road map to savings! They did good! I was one proud (and exhausted) mama at the end.
On the way home my husband remembered that there is sister restaurant (probably the original) to our beloved Mexican joint that closed down. They are/were both little holes in the wall but their food is good and authentic!
So around 9:30 when we were dragging our heals we headed to the on nearest the outlet malls and all ordered the infamous breakfast burrito!
Our week has been a rough one folks. We are doing our best to get rounded up and all in bed by 10 but we are still working on that one…..
The food schedule is all out of sorts, only because I am just as tired as the kids this week, so yesterday was breakfast day.
I made my own breakfast burritos! Oh and homemade hash browns. They were both yum!
You should make these…. kinda like right now!
You will need:
- 4 soft flour tortillas
- 8 strips turkey bacon
- 3 slices 98% fat free ham
- 6 sausage patties (any brand) – I use Jimmy Dean
- 3 Eggs, scrambled
- 1 Cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 Red potatoes, peeled and shredded
- Olive oil for cooking potatoes
- Olive oil spray
- Salt and pepper
- Salsa (optional)
- Begin cooking your turkey bacon. I like my crisp but cook to your desired likeness.
- In a separate skillet, cook your sausage until done.
- In the same skillet you fried the turkey bacon, cook the ham.
- Once the meats were done, dice them all up and separate them into bowls, so to create an assembly line for creating the burritos.
- Crack 3 eggs and scramble them, using butter flavor Pam, salt, and pepper.
- Spray a medium size skillet with olive oil spray, add your olive oil, shredded potatoes, salt and pepper. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes until they begin to get soft. Remove lid and continue cooking until they are browned and done.
- Warm tortillas in microwave by covering them in damp paper towels. Heat for about 1 minute. This will make them soft enough to work with.
- Begin layering each tortilla with cheese, potatoes, eggs, ham, bacon and sausage.
- Wrap them up tight and the heat from the food will melt the cheese inside. Turn them seem side down on the plate and let them sit for about 1 minute so it can all melt together. Really as you are making the other three the first ones will be ready to serve.
I topped mine off with some salsa (and held on the sausage – not a huge fan of sausage)! Mmmmm.
At the restaurant, I added Pico de Gallo but being that I didn’t have any on hand, I just used salsa =)
You will love them. I promise, and you won’t feel guilty! Eating healthy or healthier is easier than you might think. It just takes a few adjustments but it makes all the difference!